Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Boxing!!!

Hey all,

So, just a few things have happened in the last couple of days. I actually have a project to work on, at least for a little while, which is building a pseudorandom number generator. Cool and confusing, we shall see how it goes.

Other than the really cool thing that happened yesterday was a boxing class! Thats right, one of the bosses here named Kentaro teaches a boxing class on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. I finally remembered to bring workout clothes to the office yesterday and I had a whole lot of fun! We just learned the stance, a few blocks/dodges, then learned and practiced punches (the classic 1-2, left jab and right...jab?) the rest of the time. I was happy because I seemed to be doing pretty well and it was *very* good exercise. I was breathing hard and pouring sweat by the time we were done, and that just feels fantastic after sitting in front of a computer in the office all day for a few weeks. Also, all the muscles in my left leg were *completely* exhausted, because you basically do a lunge forward with your left leg every time you punch! One last cool thing about the class: it is on the roof of the building I work in, so not only do we get to be outside and exercising but we have a fantastic view over Bangalore at the same time! ^_^

It took *forever* to get home last night. For some reason the roads and cabs were busy and we didn't get a cab out of the office until something like 9:30PM! :-(. Once we got home the power was out, so we just hung out on the roof where moonlight and light pollution from the city let us see. Once the power came back on we discovered we have "internet" in our apartment. Essentially there is a cell phone (which is limited to just one tower, so we can't move it around) that is plugged into a base that has a power/recharge plug and a USB cable. I think that we can possibly plug into the USB cable and get internet through that. However, none of our computers would recognize the device, so no internet >:-(. I'm even more pissed because we could have installed this thing ourselves in about 10 seconds (plug it into the wall) if they had just given it to us a week ago. And we *still* don't have internet because we can't get the damn thing working. This is just really really frustrating. :-(

The good news from last night was the I finished "Watership Down" which is a really good book, and Elaine was able to call me on my cell phone! Anyone can call me (with a calling card) by calling +(91)9916677560 (I think the 91 is the Indian country code. Double check that if the number doesn't work).

Today just has been further work on the pseudorandom number generator and not much else. However, a few people from work are going to go to a bar later tonight and participate in something called "Quiz Night." I think it is basically a trivia competition, so we will see how it!

Thats all for now! Cheers,
Jason

No comments: