Sunday, June 24, 2007

Shopping at Commercial Street

Hey all,

I've had another fun day today, basically spent shopping with Revi and Tracy. I started out planning not to do much of anything, as I was still tired from yesterday. I went into work at noon and worked for half an hour before a whole bunch of people wandered down to a salad place nearby. My salad basically consisted of a little of everything they had there (peppers, beans, tomatoes, lettuce, etc.) *drowned* in dill salad dressing (I didn't tell the lady to stop soon enough). It was mostly pretty good, but once I got to the bottom it was basically soup :-(. After the salad I got some ice cream ^_^. One scoop of this chocolate/brownie stuff which was *fantastic* and one scoop was leeche flavored (which is a really yummy fruit that I get here alot) and also *delicious*.

So, after lunch I decided to go to commercial street with Revi and Tracy. We grabbed an auto down there and basically spent 3 hours wandering around and shopping. It was actually *really* fun, seeing all the different colorful clothing (including lots of vibrant purples that will make Elaine flip ^_^), all the different *types* of clothing, and just witnessing the scene and seeing all the little knick knacks and jewelry. It was also fun bantering with Tracy and Revi and seeing how all the shopkeepers presented their wares. They would always pull out dozens upon dozens of things for us to look through, just to sell one or two. In addition to all the shopping that Tracy and Revi did, I found a really cool shirt for myself and I made another *really* cool clothing purchase which will remain a surprise until people can see it in person ^_^.

After shopping we were going to have paratha (I haven't had it before, but apparently its basically a combination of delicious bread and lots of butter ^_^ [India is a *massive* counterexample to the American idea that being a vegetarian automatically makes you a healthier eater]), but the place was closed. Instead we went down to MG road, stopped by the cat/magazine shop (Revi is a big cat person and hadn't seen it before), and had a snack at a place I had been on my first day here. It basically serves little bread wraps around things like chicken tikka ^_^. Afterwards we all came back to the apartment and chatted about things like perceptions of the caste system, family, relationships ^_^, and arrogance that some big companies can have when they want to get things done. It was a fun conversation, and a good end to a really fun day :-). I will try to post pictures in a reasonably timely manner.

G'night for now!

Cheers,
Jason

No comments: