Saturday, June 2, 2007

I'm in India!

Hey All,

This is my first post from India, and I'm a little bit stunned. It is about 8:00AM local time here, and my plane got in about midnight last night. Getting my bags wasn't too bad of an experience, but getting to my apartment was terrible. I was expecting to be met at the airport by someone from Micrsoft, and there was noone there. I also apparently missed seeing the government sanctioned taxi service inside the airport, which would have cost me about 400 rupees maximum. As it stands, it cost me 5000R and about an hour of stress and driving around to get to my apartment :'-(. I feel taken, and quite like an idiot.

I was luck that there was someone here when I got to the apartment. He may be my roommate (if I have the right room, which is open to question). I chatted with him for a little while last night and went to bed about 2:30AM. Around 4:30AM another roommate came in. He is pretty sure that I'm in the wrong room, but has no problem with me sleeping here for the time being (which is good). I went back to sleep, cuddling Moshi and holding my necklace, again. My bed is the smallest on which I have ever slept and even during the night it is so hot and humid that I don't need a blanket.

This morning another roomate has appeared. He was kind enough to let me borrow one of his plug adapters, which is why I'm online right now! Apparently none of the adapters that I bought from AAA before coming work :-( They just don't fit in the slot. Hopefully I can remedy that sometime today. I am told that we actually do have someone who brings us food (though they don't give you a choice of the food they bring, so if you don't like it you can go out), but I'm not sure what time breakfast is today. I also haven't been able to find bottled water and am worried about being somewhat dehydrated.

My roommates all seems really nice and friendly, and I think that they are all also interns at Microsoft research. Even so, I'm hoping that some sort of mistake has been made about the room and I will be able to get a single. I would really like some personal space to come back to and hide :-P. My roommates, however, will probably be invaluable as I try to figure out what is going on here. I've basically come to India knowing I have a place to sleep and a job to show up for. Everything else I don't know! This is making me a little bit worried, but hopefully everything will get sorted out and settled over the next week.

Cheers,
Jason

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Don't be too discouraged, my love. See if one of your roommates will take you out to explore the town!